× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Stanley Cup playoffs Rangers harness the power get

More
2 years 1 week ago #253654 by seestyle
The last time the New York Rangers beat Corey Clement Jersey the Canadiens in Montreal in a Game 1, the rest of the series didn't turn out so well for the Blueshirts. That would be the 1979 Stanley Cup Final; the Habs won the next four games to secure a fourth consecutive title.This New York squad doesn't care about that, obviously. It will gladly take Saturday's 7-2 victory at Bell Centre, because it moves the franchise closer to its first Stanley Cup Final in 20 years.MORE: Recap | SN scoreboard | Must-see Game 1 photos | West previewSo, history isn't a big story line coming out of Game 1. What is important after the opener of this year's Eastern Conference finals? A set of four:POWER MOVEThe Rangers broke open the game with three power-play tallies in the first 4:36 of the third period. Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan and Rick Nash (who ended a long drought) had the goals. The outburst capped a stunning stretch of five Rangers goals in 5 minutes, 37 seconds covering the end of the second period and the start of the third."We got fortunate. We got some bounces. We got some momentum, and pucks went in the net. It was a win, that's all it was. We're very aware that it's going to be a lot different (the rest of the series)," said New York's Brad Richards, who had one of the second-period goals.New York had seven power plays in all, to just three for the Canadiens."They just beat us everywhere on the ice, every zone, and we took too many penalties," Montreal's Rene Bourque told reporters (via NHL.com). "Obviously, I took a couple bad ones in Wendell Smallwood Jersey the first. We just never got rolling. We just weren't sharp and weren't ready to play. We'll be ready Monday night."Rangers fans probably are concerned the whistles will balance out in Game 2. They may also be hoping the Canadiens will remain undisciplined and gift their team more opportunities.CAREY OUT?The play of the series might turn out to be the Rangers' Chris Kreider sliding into Canadiens goalie Carey Price in the second period. Price grabbed his right knee after the collision, and while he stayed in the game, he did allow a pair of goals in the final 1:01 of the period. That earned him a seat on the bench for the third period.Montreal coach Michel Therrien was naturally circumspect about the situation, saying he pulled Price because the rest of the Habs were so awful."There was no reason to put Carey back in the third," Therrien told reporters. "It was just to protect him. You never want to see your goaltender spread out on the ice. But the fact that he didn't play in the third period is unrelated."Even if Price is gimpy, you have to think he'll be back out there for Game 2 on Monday. Because it's the ... well, you know.As to whether Kreider was aiming for Price as he drove to the net: Therrien said he thought it was accidental, Nick Foles Jersey and Kreider told reporters he just lost his balance after mi sing the net with his shot."I put it wide and somehow lost my footing. I thought maybe someone pre sured me from behind. I seem to have an i sue staying on my feet on those," Kreider told reporters. "I went in skates-first, and I just had too much momentum and couldn't really avoid him. It didn't feel too good for me, either."SHOOT AT THE KING ...Price's opposite number, Henrik Lundqvist, was at his series-turning best in the second period as the Canadiens tried to rally from a two-goal deficit. Lundqvist made several quality saves, in particular a glove stop of P.K. Subban from point-blank range.Lundqvist made nine of his 20 saves in the middle frame (he also allowed a goal to Rene Bourque that went off the stick of defenseman Ryan McDonagh) and kept Lane Johnson Jersey his team on top until it could regain control.The victory also ended a string of bad memories for the King at Bell Centre. Lundqvist hadn't played in Montreal since allowing four goals on Jan. 15, 2012. His last win there was March 17, 2009."I'm going to be honest with you, I felt good coming into the game and, yeah, you guys like to talk about it, you like to ask me about it," Lundqvist told reportrers (via NHL.com). "I haven't played here in a while, but it's still the same game. Last time I played here, we had a different team, and I think I've grown as a goalie as well."SUPPORT FOR MARTYRangers winger Martin St. Louis attended a Fletcher Cox Jersey wake for his mother, France, on Friday. He will attend her funeral on Sunday. So will the rest of the Rangers. The show of unity is a testament to the bond St. Louis and his teammates have formed in the past few days."My teammates are behind me and supporting me, and their effort was unbelievable," said St. Louis, who was first star Saturday after notching a goal and an a sist. "We feel really close right now and we're trying to keep feeding off that."Rangers coach Alain Vigneault can sense the togetherne s, too."He's handled it in an incredible way that probably has helped our team come closer together. (Sunday) is going to be a tough day. We need to be there to support him, and we'll do that and get ready for Monday," Vigneault said.The A sociated Pre s contributed to this report.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds